We are testing 4 different exam rooms, in each cardinal direction (North, East, West, South).   All rooms are similar in size and the camera view used to calculate the glare is approximately in the same location in each room.  After calculating the annual glare for each model, we noticed that a few of the data points were intolerable for all 4 orientations. These 'stray' data points are the same in all 4 orientations.  I have attached the annual glare charts for your reference. You will notice that the same intolerable glare data points occur in the evening from 5pm-7pm range during Jan, Mar, June, July, September, and October.  Also, I grabbed some snap shots of the .dpg file from a couple of files.  Is this a bug in the program or is there something wrong with our model?

Thanks,

Lisa

Views: 595

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Additional Images....

Attachments:

Hi Lisa,

Another thing that might be easier to do on your end since you have the model all set up.... Go to the view in question and run an annual glare image for the specific time in question- the false color image should "flag" where it is picking up the glare. I have had this occur with some simulations  and it is actually a specular reflection from something in the scene at that moment in time. Try this for the views and moments n time in consideration and post the dgp images.

Thanks,

Jeff

Thanks Jeff for the quick reply. I did some tests running Point-in-Time glare (I think that is what you meant). I have attached three images to help show the discrepancy between the point-in-glare and the annual glare. (I did more than three tests but this should give you an idea) I grabbed a snapshot of the annual glare DPG number (from excel) and attached it to the Point-in-time glare image so you can see the discrepancy.

I agree that it could have been specular reflections.....but it seems very odd that it occurs at the same day/time for all cardinal directions? (Refer to previous attached images for the annual glare charts) I am not sure if it is something wrong in all the models or something else that is causing this?

It doesn't appear that the tif images uploaded...let me try a jpeg....

Attachments:

Hi Lisa, 

Do you mind sharing which climate file you are using?

Thanks,
Alstan

Sure....attached is the epw file for Clovis-Canon AFB.

Attachments:

Thank you Lisa,

I'm going to forward this information to Jan Wienold, who wrote the algorithm behind the annual DGP and instantaneous calculations after (hopefully) re-creating the issue in a similar model on my computer. I'll keep you updated.

Best regards,

Alstan

Thanks Alstan.  We appreciate you looking into it.

Hi Lisa,

I ran a similar simulation using a South-oriented space and the same weather file, but didn't manage to find the same afternoon trend right before the sun sets. 

Did you run all of the views at the same time using the 'saved views' option in DIVA? Also, I wonder if you would mind sharing your model / any custom material files for a deeper analysis?

Thanks,

Alstan

Hi everyone.

I am having the same problem with this one. Have you guys had any solution for the issue?

Thanks in advance,

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by jeff niemasz.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service