Hello,

I have just started learning daylight simulations with DIVA and found some good tutorials from MIT: http://web.mit.edu/sustainabledesignlab/projects/DIVATutorials/inde... (I guess you already know them).

Everything was OK until I started following steps in videos 3 and 4 for annual glare and dynamic shading simulations. My simulation for daylight autonomy came different by 1% (44% of floor area instead of 43% in the video), it is a small difference, so I did not think much about it.

Then I ran simulation for annual glare and this time I got a lot worse results, almost three times more glare than in the tutorial... Same situation with dynamic shading: in the tutorial shading removed all the glare, and in my model it did not even get close to it... venetian blinds had to be lowered almost all the time and still there was quite a lot of glare... it does not make any sense, since venetian blinds provided in the Rhino model are almost totally shut...

I have tried looking into a number of possible issues:

• I have checked climate file, and modification date seem to match the file from tutorial.

• I have tried to run annual glare with and without assigned control points and it still was way too big.

• I have double checked materials as well.

I have no idea what to check now... could it be something with DIVA and Rhino versions. I'm using DIVA 4 and Rhino 5, in the tutorial DIVA 3 was used.

If you have any ideas what might be wrong I would appreciate that, cause I'm totally stuck (it is very weird for me that daylight autonomy results are almost identical, but annual glare is not even close).

I have attached PDF's of Daysim Reports that I have got, and blow you can find print screens of results from tutorial... 

Tags: annual, glare

Views: 58

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hello Povilas,

Apologies for the late reply. Since glare is view-specific, it may simply be that your camera location in the space is different than in the MIT tutorials. In the tutorial Jeff uses the row1_west saved view -- do you use the same?

Best,
Alstan

Hello Alstan,

Yes, I'm using the same camera view.

There was a possibility to download Rhino model with already saved row1_west view. It seems to be the same view, from what I can tell.

Kind regards,

Povilas Mikuta

J. Alstan Jakubiec said:

Hello Povilas,

Apologies for the late reply. Since glare is view-specific, it may simply be that your camera location in the space is different than in the MIT tutorials. In the tutorial Jeff uses the row1_west saved view -- do you use the same?

Best,
Alstan

Sorry for the very late reply Povilas.

Well its hard to say why your results might be specifically different than Jeff's from the tutorial, but it is clear there is something very different. Even in the annual glare calculation step, you see that the shades being down do not block the glare during Jan / Feb / Nov / Dec, but in Jeff's tutorial shades prevent all glare.

If you don't mind to upload your file with its settings, I can take a look at it.

Best,

Alstan

I have attached a model that I have been running annual glare simulations on. Thank you for the help.

J. Alstan Jakubiec said:

Sorry for the very late reply Povilas.

Well its hard to say why your results might be specifically different than Jeff's from the tutorial, but it is clear there is something very different. Even in the annual glare calculation step, you see that the shades being down do not block the glare during Jan / Feb / Nov / Dec, but in Jeff's tutorial shades prevent all glare.

If you don't mind to upload your file with its settings, I can take a look at it.

Best,

Alstan

Attachments:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2017   Created by jeff niemasz.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service