Annual point illuminance - converting Diva results to IES VE 'ill' file

Hi All,

Together with colleague from the mechanical team we would like to investigate different façade glass parameters configuration (g and Lt) in regards to solar gain and internal lighting gain. The façade is equipped with venetian blinds that would operate according to Detailed Dynamic Shading available in DIVA to avoid glare (Automated Glare Control).

We would like to use results produced by calculation points in each space in the DIVA model (lux) to be used to control internal light dimming in IES VE  Thermal Model, Apache module. The daylight model is done in Diva but Thermal model in IES VE. 

Is it possible to generate '.ill' file in DIVA that can be used in IES and how the models should be configure, so that IES assigns the control point to the same space as DIVA (should rooms have the same id, room name)?

Here is the link to example .ill file used in IES VE Example.ill

Has anyone got experiance on that?

regards

Pawel

Tags: IES VE, Thermal model, converting DIVA file to IES VE

Views: 231

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Pawel,

I don't think there is any automated mode of conversion. You would need to write some automated method yourself to take the illuminance sensor values from DIVA and convert it into the IES VE format. A word of warning is that Daysim (via DIVA) does not produce a composite illuminance file, but rather an illuminance file for each state of the shading system.

Best,

Alstan

OK, thank you for quick answer.

Regards

Pawel

I have a question related to this:

I am a bit confused about the .ill files now. When running a dynamic shading simulation Daysim/DIVA produces an .ill file for each state. Depending on whether you tick the box "Clean up directory" DIVA will or will not remove these from the temp folder. Is this correct? 

If you tick the box and DIVA cleans up the directory which one of the .ill files is the one in the "RhinoFileName - DIVA" > "Grid-based" folder?

If I want to compare dynamic solutions to passive solutions through these .ill files and DIVA doesn't create a composite .ill files for this, I am thinking of constructing one myself by pulling data from multiple .ill files in Excel based on the shading state activation column in "intgain.csv" file from the "Grid-based" folder. Does this sound like a useable solution to the problem?

Also, when using the "Automated Glare Control" strategy, just for confirmation, the numbers "-45 45" takes north into account right? So if I want to investigate the other four corners I would write:

-45 45 = North

45 135 = -225 -315 =East

135 225 = -135 -225= South

225 315 = -135 -45 = West

Is this correctly understood?

Kind regards

Mads

Hi Mads,

If you tick the box and DIVA cleans up the directory which one of the .ill files is the one in the "RhinoFileName - DIVA" > "Grid-based" folder?

That is a great question. The 'unshaded' state illuminance file is the one in the folder. We should actually clarify this.

Does this sound like a useable solution to the problem?

Yes -- that is exactly what you should do.

Also, when using the "Automated Glare Control" strategy, just for confirmation, the numbers "-45 45" takes north into account right?

This is in Daysim's weird azimuth notation, where 0 is South.

Best,

Alstan

Thank you for the quick answer.

Can you please provide the other directions since I'm still confused what these are? In my model I name the corners based on the top view in Rhino so my south is 180 degress in top view, which is why I am confused now :)

I'm playing around with a custom weather file I created from a different provider than the usual free ones and it is causing some problem with showing approximately the same illuminance values just inside and just outside the window/shading component. The new weather file contains higher direct values and lower diffuse values in average. I figure it must be the strategy which fails by just slipping through the shading and window causing identical values. So I am trying out new strategies which is why I need the azimuth notation to be correct.

Check out pages 24-25 of this PDF: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0dkw2m8dtqoglmq/102%20Dynamic%20Facades%2...

Best,

Alstan

Thank you very much. That is exactly what I needed.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2017   Created by jeff niemasz.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service