Hi, 

I'm fairly new to Diva, but I believe I've read all of the relevant documentation to get started with it. I am trying to run a Climate-Based Daylight Simulation, using a Daylight Availability Metric (see attached photo for settings). As far as I can see it doesn't specifically come up with an error in the DOS window when running the simulation, it just hangs there at a particular point (see error photo attached). It gets to the point of, "calculate 63 daylight coefficients for variant static_shading_system..." and then it just sits there. I've waited for over 2 hours thinking it might just be a long simulation time, but I've tried other simulations and they only take about 10-20 minutes. It's not a complex or large model either, it was all modeled within Rhino 5 and only has 2500 nodes. I have done 'point in time illuminance' simulations, which work perfectly fine, which makes me think the materials file is working properly. I tried saving it out as a new file as well, just in case there was some existing simulation data that was creating an error. But I still seem to have the same problem.  

Any ideas on what the problem might be? Or if it's a problem at all? 

Regards,

Justin Dunn

Tags: Climate-Based, Daylight Availability, Daylight Simulation, error

Views: 530

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Justin,

Typically the climate-based metrics will take somewhere ~20 times longer than a regular point-in-time illuminance calculation. This is mostly due to the increase in direct solar positions in the simulation model (1 for point in time, ~65 for climate-based).

My suggestion would be to try running the calculation before you go to sleep one night to see if it completes in the interim.

Best,

Alstan

Thanks for the reply Alstan, it does clear things up. I started a clean file and managed to get it to work with default materials, took under 2 hours to run. So it seems that adding more complex materials greatly increases the simulation time.  
Thanks for your help,

Justin

Hi Justin,

Indeed. Often the addition of materials with specularity (and especially roughness) can increase calculation times. It takes a bit of experience to get a feeling for these types of issues, so I am glad the comments helped!

Alstan

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by jeff niemasz.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service