Hi,

I would like to test the daylight factor on a free form surface.

I've managed to get the analysis grid to wrap around my surface, I've some questions though:

1. I was not able to select surfaces (for nodes subdivision) that have been lofted, however it is possible for draped surfaces. Can you let me know what other types of (non)planar surfaces I can use and any tips/tricks to get DIVA to apply nodes to freeform surfaces?

2. I know that the Nodes are always offset from the Node Surface at a fixed height, is there a way to adjust the offset and also the direction of the offset?

3. The analysis results seem to be a fixed orientation. Does this mean that the test results are skewed? Is there a way for the node planes to be tangent to the free-form surface?

I've attached the files in a zip format.

Do let me know.

Thank you so much!

Views: 719

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Aloysius,

From the DIVA toolbar, you are really limited to using a planar surface to generate your analysis grids. The grids only take the normal of the surface at one point when creating sensor nodes, so with a surface the wraps around, results are likely to not be as desired. 

That said, this kind of analysis is possible in DIVA-Grasshopper. In DIVA-Grasshopper, you can create a grid of nodes and vectors as you like, typically based on the vertices of a Mesh, and then color that mesh with the simulation results. This recent discussion shows multiple ways of achieving this for a planar surface.

Best regards,

Alstan

Hi Alstan,

Thanks for the heads-up.

I've followed the directions as per the discussion but my visualization seems to have patches of blue that doesn't seem right.

Can you help to check if there's any way to fix this?

I've attached my rhino and GHP files here.

Attachments:

Hi Aloysius,

You should use the vector directions from the mesh in order to offset the points slightly. This is because if the points are directly on the mesh surface, sometimes Radiance thinks they are on top, and sometimes it thinks they are behind the mesh.

See the image below for a preferred setup. I also used the mesh normals to give proper directionality to your sensors.

Best,

Alstan

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2020   Created by jeff niemasz.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service