How do I convert an Ecotect weather file (.wea) to Energyplus weather file (.epw) to be used with DIVA?

I need to run some diva daylighting simulations but I don't have the *.epw weather file for this specific location (Cartagena Colombia). What I have is an Ecotect *.wea weather file that I want to convert to *.epw in order run the simulations that I need, so, How do I convert an Ecotect weather file (.wea) to Energyplus weather file (.epw) to be used with DIVA?

Views: 967

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Luis,

The Ecotect weather tool has an option to save as an EPW file. I tried it with a test file and it worked pretty well except in a few cases:

- Days were defined as day of the year not day of the month.

- There were 5-6 negative solar irradiation values in the file. This crashed Daysim (simulation engine for climate-based metrics in DIVA).

Both of these things could be corrected by hand pretty easily.

Best,

Alstan

Hi Alstan, I tried this Ecotect Weather Tool option but the results were totally wrong. What I did is to use the EnergyPlus Weather Converter and it worked pretty well.

The only issues that I've seen so far are:

1. Longitude {E+/W-} = 75.30 : it should be set negative (-75.30) in order to be West (in this case).

2. All the Radiation values are ok, but the Global Horizontal Illuminance {lux}, Direct Normal Illuminance {lux}, and Diffuse Horizontal Illuminance {lux} are set to 999900 for all the hours of the year, even at night time. The Zenith Luminance {Cd/m2} is set to 99990 for all year too. Does DIVA/Daysim use this Illuminance values for Daylight Simulations or just the Radiation values? Should I erase them? I don't have where to get this hourly Illuminances values to correct it.

Any clarification would be really appreciated.

Hola Luis,

También estoy buscando el weather file en formato .wea de Cartagena. Quería saber si pudiste arreglar la conversión y si es posible que me lo mandes.

Muchas gracias y quedo atento,

Nicholas 

Luis fernando Martinez said:

Hi Alstan, I tried this Ecotect Weather Tool option but the results were totally wrong. What I did is to use the EnergyPlus Weather Converter and it worked pretty well.

The only issues that I've seen so far are:

1. Longitude {E+/W-} = 75.30 : it should be set negative (-75.30) in order to be West (in this case).

2. All the Radiation values are ok, but the Global Horizontal Illuminance {lux}, Direct Normal Illuminance {lux}, and Diffuse Horizontal Illuminance {lux} are set to 999900 for all the hours of the year, even at night time. The Zenith Luminance {Cd/m2} is set to 99990 for all year too. Does DIVA/Daysim use this Illuminance values for Daylight Simulations or just the Radiation values? Should I erase them? I don't have where to get this hourly Illuminances values to correct it.

Any clarification would be really appreciated.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2017   Created by jeff niemasz.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service