Hi,

I see that daylight calculations in DIVA for manual on/off switch is based on the lightswitch-2002 model that automatically assumes blind enclosure when solar irradiance of 50 w/m2 (or higher) is received. Correct me if I am wrong.

My question is how diva automatically calculates solar irradiation for this assumption. Is it measured vertically outside the facade or horizontally for workspace?

Is this assumption activated only when only choosing the automatic option? does it work with the manual option?? See the attached pic please.

Also, does DIVA apply this algorithm (of blind enclosure when solar irradiance 50 or higher) when using automatic light control models (e.g. photo-sensor controlled dimming)?

Thanks in advance

Views: 29

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Sahar,

The solar irradiance measured is actually direct normal (i.e. in the direction of the sun).  This is true for both Manual and Auto modes.  Comments in the file "C:\DIVA\ExampleFiles\Grasshopper\Daylight\02_AnnualDaylight_C_WindowsAndShades.gh" explain sensor position selection in each mode.

Lighting is based on interior illuminance levels (not direct solar).

Jon

Thanks Jon for your reply. 

Lighting is based on interior illuminance levels but it considers blinds enclosure times and accordingly this will reduce illuminance levels. So my question basically is: Does DIVA apply this algorithm of shading control with other light models (e.g. photo-sensor controlled dimming).

Also, I have another question, please. Is it possible to use the option of custom shading schedule apart from this algorithm? Because I am already using a custom shading schedule (blinds are controlled based on different criteria) and I don't want DIVA to automatically apply the algorithm of the light-switch. 

Thanks

Jon Sargent said:

Hi Sahar,

The solar irradiance measured is actually direct normal (i.e. in the direction of the sun).  This is true for both Manual and Auto modes.  Comments in the file "C:\DIVA\ExampleFiles\Grasshopper\Daylight\02_AnnualDaylight_C_WindowsAndShades.gh" explain sensor position selection in each mode.

Lighting is based on interior illuminance levels (not direct solar).

Jon

Yes, all lighting calculations consider the blind operation.

A custom shade schedule input was added to the Window component in February (v4.0.2.47), but it looks like you are running an older version.  You can run an update to access this feature.

Thanks for your reply. 

Yes, I am using already the new component and I inserted my own shading schedule, but i am not sure if Diva automatically  also applies the algorithm of blind operation in this case.

Jon Sargent said:

Yes, all lighting calculations consider the blind operation.

A custom shade schedule input was added to the Window component in February (v4.0.2.47), but it looks like you are running an older version.  You can run an update to access this feature.

Not sure I understand your question.  If you input your own blinds schedule, that's the schedule DIVA will use.  It will apply this to all illuminance and lighting calcs.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2017   Created by jeff niemasz.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service