Is it possible to have the shades respond to maximum illuminance levels, as set by the user, experienced at the grid level as opposed to direct sunlight? It seems that there currently exists two ways to operate shades: Manual, which uses the grid and zones to determine operation, and Auto, which generates sensors off of the window planes. My results show that the auto shades are successfully deployed during times when direct sun will enter the space but then they open and allow high levels of illuminance to occur. 

Does anyone know if it is possible to control the shades on both direct sun and maximum illuminance experienced at the grid?

Thanks!

Views: 164

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Kit,

In Grasshopper, there is currently no option for using illuminance to drive the shading schedule.  (Other than launching separate runs and manually combining the results.)  

In terms of working this into a future release, I propose that we add illuminance controls to auto sensors only.  This more or less mirrors what the DIVA-for-Rhino toolbar does, by requiring that you -- the user -- specify which sensors control which windows.  Without this, I have no coherent way of deciding which window(s) are to blame for the overexposure.  (With direct sun, this can be deduced from the sun's position.)  

Sound reasonable?

Jon

ps.  Note that auto sensor positions are overridable, so you would be free to place them on the work plane.

Hi Jon,

I agree that illuminance controls would apply to auto sensors more so than the manual controls as humans are more likely to react to direct sun rather than illuminance levels greater than a certain threshold. The auto sensing capability for illuminance levels extends beyond the human occupied space as well, such as museums that need to regulate light levels in the space for the sake of the artwork rather than the human eye. 

One extra question I would like to tack onto this thread, that is somewhat related to shades, is the ability to specify windows with different Tvis values in the same model. What would you recommend as the workflow to define different window types, each with its own zone, but all have the same type of shades?

In the example below, all three windows are assigned the same material but I would like to assign a different glazing type for the north elevation and keep it on it's own zone. 

Hi Kit,

All the dropdown parameters accept remote sources, so you can simply write the materials into a panel (unique substrings work too):

If you want to keep track of "zones" associated with these windows, use the Zone Name (rather than the Name) input.  Note that zones have no effect on the simulation -- they are just a labeling tool for identifying objects downstream.

Jon

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by jeff niemasz.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service