I am student trying to use daylight metrics, however it is not working. Attached is my definition which copies the tutorial example. If anyone can shine some light, that would be much appreciated.  Also, I am guessing the grasshopper version is free, but my Rhino version now says that I am not registered, but I am a student who registered already. Not sure why here. 

Thank you in advance. 

Views: 1000

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Erik,

You need to add geometry to the daylight component.  At the moment, there's nothing to analyze.  Pass all geometry through a "Material" component to assign a radiance material, and then to the GM input of the daylight component.  Also, it looks as though you have the daylight component set up to run a visualization.  I assume, based on the nodes and gradient preview, that you're trying to run irradiance or illuminance or a climate based metric.  If so, click on the "Settings" button on the component to select the output you want.  You'll also need to connect the relevant output node, rather than the messages output, to the gradient input.

Jon

Thank you for you reply Jon, 

Your suggestions are helpful as the definition is not failing now; however, it seems to only be illuminating the bottoms of the mesh geometry. I have tried many different settings and materials and have not been able to achieve the same effect as in the tutorial. i wish to eventually run a solar irradiation test/ or climate test on an a segment of a city. Do I need to activate my sun in rhino or something of that nature?

Thank you in advance

Erik

Erik,

What values are coming out of the Solar irradiation component- do they seem appropriate for the city you are simulating? (1200-1600 kWhr/m2 or something) What cut off values are you selecting tor the L0 and L1 input for the gradient? These will effect how grasshopper displays the data. So the problem is either the data from the daylight component or the way you are visualizing it. Post the grasshopper definition if this doesn't help.

Jeff

Jeff,

Thank you for your reply. The solar irradiation component is running 1167 times with the highest value being 3.0. I therefore adjust the domain of the Gradient from 0.1 to 3.0 and now it is giving me a much more colorful gradient. I am still confused on how to tell whether it is correct or not. How would I tell? Did I set the Gradient Domain correctly?

I have posted the definition. I wish to use it on a building or larger city area.

Thank you so much!

Attachments:

Jeff,

Thank you for your reply. The solar irradiation component is running 1167 times with the highest value being 3.0. I therefore adjust the domain of the Gradient from 0.1 to 3.0 and now it is giving me a much more colorful gradient. I am still confused on how to tell whether it is correct or not. How would I tell? Did I set the Gradient Domain correctly?

I have posted the definition. I wish to use it on a building or larger city area.

Thank you so much!

Attachments:

The results are not accurate because you using geometry to generate the analysis nodes and materially participate in the simulation, so they are co-planar, if the surfaces are geometry in the model then the analysis nodes will need to be offset a bit so they don't intersect. See this discussion for more details.

Jeff

Ok this makes sense. By geometry, I am assuming you mean a closed polysurface rather than exploded which diva needs. I have successfully made the tutorial work, but am confused as to how to offset nodes. I used the component to show the normals, but can't offset them. So, in short, when do you use the nodes component before the solar irradiation? Also, if I want to apply this to a city block would it be easier to use meshes, or exploded polysurfaces?

Thank you in advance. 

Hi Erik,

Basically you use the surface normal at each point to move the sensor a small distance away from the surface. See the image below. This removes any ambiguities about whether a point is actually above or below an infinitely thin plane.

Best,

Alstan

Hi Alstan,

Thanks for your reply. So basically, if the nodes component is used, then one would use the same offsetting component flow?

Hello Erik,

If the nodes component is generating nodes coincident with a surface being used in the daylight analysis, that is where the problem arises. If you used a plane at 0.85m above the floor that does not get connected to the GM node of DIVA, the offset process would not be necessary. Does that help some?

Best,

Alstan

Hey Erik,

try and pull the vertices from your deconstructed mesh into both nodes and vectors of the daylight component; remember also to either manually or otherwise set you range of your gradient. Then it should work (that is, if I understood the problem correctly.. I'm sort of new to this as well - if I'm totally off, disregard this post:)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by jeff niemasz.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service