Hi there,

I am doing some studies for an architectural project with multiple buildings on a non-flat site so I  was wondering if there's a way to cast shadows on a surface(s) other than regular rendered ground plane?

Thanks

Ali

Views: 3658

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm not able to check this in DIVA at the moment, but I would bring your 3-d site surface model into Rhino and then try disabling the ground-plane shadow option in the sun path component. You may want to make the lowest elevation in your site equal to the X-Y plane. Hope this works!

Hi Ali,

Shadows are cast onto any Rhino geometry in the viewport, so just turn on your ground surfaces.  If your surfaces dip below z=0, you'll also want to turn off the Rhino ground plane.  (Un-check the "Render ground plane" option in the Sun Path component's Settings menu.)

Jon

Jon and Jeff Thank you both for your time. I have tried those the thing is it keeps giving me these funny jaggy shadows. Do you know why I can't get crisp edges? Please see the attached image.

Attachments:

Not sure.  Could be render mesh quality.  Try changing to "smooth & slower" (File > Properties > Mesh).

Doesn't help.

I think I found it! it's a bug within DIVA. It simply can't handle multiple geometries I started with deleting layers and building blocks and the shadows got finer and finer. Just works for maximum of 3-4 buildings anything beyond that you get inaccurate jagged shadows. 

Hi Ali,

It may be a hardware limitation.  DIVA uses Rhino's native renderer to produce those shadows.  Display performance can depend on a number of things, including size of the model, vertex coordinates (quality degrades farther from the origin), graphics cards, and other settings.  It's possible for urban-scale shadows to render fairly cleanly -- screenshot below is from my Macbook Pro:

Jon

It may help to max out memory usage in the display settings:

Slightly softening the edge quality can clean up aliasing a bit as well..

Jon

This is great! fixed it! Thanks a million Jon.

Jon Sargent said:

It may help to max out memory usage in the display settings:

Slightly softening the edge quality can clean up aliasing a bit as well..

Jon

Hello John, 

Thanks for you're suggestions. I have a trouble with SunPath component. I updated vRay to 3.6 version and before SunPath Shadow in Grasshopper was working just fine.

Although I am using Rhino as the render engine, I still cannot see any shadows on the ground and the display setting is all dark.  

please let me know if you have any suggestions. Thanks in advance.

-berardo

Hello. 

Has anyone ever had problems with DivaSun Path display mode? I am having troubles to visualize basic shadows as per the previous post. 

Thanks all for the help.

Berardo Matalucci said:

Hello John, 

Thanks for you're suggestions. I have a trouble with SunPath component. I updated vRay to 3.6 version and before SunPath Shadow in Grasshopper was working just fine.

Although I am using Rhino as the render engine, I still cannot see any shadows on the ground and the display setting is all dark.  

please let me know if you have any suggestions. Thanks in advance.

-berardo

Hi,

Same for me as for Berardo. Screen is dark, shadows arent visible. I find out that, in fact shadows are there, but rarely visible. I changed colour of shadows in Diva sun path display properties and than it was possible to see in strong colours like blue, white, red. But nothing works easy, clean and very nice as is in youtube videos etd. I have Vray3.6 but my curent renderer was Rhino render. Rh.5 sr14. Any suggestion?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by jeff niemasz.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service