This isn't really a software question but more a question about the application of the software tools to a design.

In the description for Radiation Maps, it says, "This is a powerful tool that can be used on an urban or building scale to identify locations with solar energy conversion potential or areas in need of shading due to excessive solar exposure."

Is there a rule of thumb or process for using these results to determine areas in need of shading?  Is there some kwh/m^2 value that is considered "too much" direct sun, warranting the addition of shades?  I'm trying to understand if there's any quantitative relationship between these things.

Tags: maps, radiation, shading

Views: 1729

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Alstan,

Thank you, my mistake it looks like I had an older version on my desktop pc.

Is there is a way to do the Daysim-based method using grasshopper?

Best,

Hi Alstan,

No I was using the cumulative sky based method! Now it works just fine.

Thanks for your reply.

Kostas

J. Alstan Jakubiec said:

Hello Kostas,

Are you using the Daysim-based method? It should always produce a CSV file in the grid-based results folder. If you are using the Cumulative Sky method, it will not.

> The other question is about (if it is possible) how to  distinguish betwwen direct and diffuse radiation.

Not directly. You could run an ab=0  (0 ambient bounces) calculation, which would only capture direct, unreflected sunlight. Then you could run an ab>0 calculation to account for the full irradiation. Some mathematics gets you the diffuse + direct-reflected component separately from the direct component.

Best,

Alstan

Hi alstan

I get same error as Dan.

My image output has a soft gradient and it is difficult to see how many hours are above my threshold.

It seems like the minimum and maximum input doesnt affect it too much?

J. Alstan Jakubiec said:

Hi Dan,

A strange error, but it shouldn't cause any serious problems. We tell the shell to wait for the image-generating command to run before it attempts to open it. My guess is that it happens too quickly on your computer and throws this error.

Best,

Alstan

Hi Mathias,

It might be best to set a hard threshold, like 250 W/m2. Then your scale would be 249-250 W/m2, and you will see a very strong differentiation between what you define as 'direct' versus 'indirect.' If you need, all of the hourly irradiation data for your entire grid is saved in a CSV file, but it gets kind of overwhelming with thousands of points.

Best,

Alstan

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2020   Created by jeff niemasz.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service