Dear Forum members,

I am simulating a residential builidng (block shaped) in a urban context and currently facing few uncertainty issues, more precisely general meaning of the words in this context so would be thankful if some more experienced members could help me eliminate my doubts:

Boundary component - as I read in other disscusion posts this should be applied in case of adiabatic surfaces inside the building or for a ground plate. Any other application suggested?

Shading: My building is located in an urban surrounding consisted of other residential buildings. please see the pdf file bellow. I assume if I connect surrounding buildings as BREPs directly in the Networker component they will provide static shade on my model. If I add dynamic shading surfaces with schedule in the same Networker component can Energy plus calculate both static and dynamic at the same time? Or is it enough just to activate the dynamic shadding component in the window zone settings assuming that the window geometry is also the dynamic shade geometry and leave the networker just for the static shade?

Natural Ventilation: there are 2 possibilities for natural ventilation scheduled and wind/buoyancy driven. It is a bit unclear when do you the first and second option. Is it necessary to activate the window opening schedule in the window zone for natural ventilation in order to function properly? 

Many thanks in advance.

Aleksandar

Views: 15

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Boundary Components: yes

Static shading / context: you should provide the important faces of the contextual buildings as static shading surfaces.

the dynamic shading in the window component is meant to model facade systems.

Natural Vent:

option 1 requires you to know the air change rate. You would only know it if you simulated it in some other tool.

my recommendation would be to use only buoyancy driven simulation as a conservative analysis.

Hi Timur

many thanks for the responces.

One last question would be regarding the modeling and simulating a double skin facade. I found a topic in this forum but no one responded yet on that. Is it possible to simulate it with ARCHSIM and if yes are there any particular advices which you could give?

My thoughts were to model the skin as a separate unconditioned thermal zone with a "facade" window and the "internal" window on a partition wall between the outer and the inner zone and to regulate with natural ventilation schedules, but I am wondering does Energy plus calculate "internal " window properly? Second big issue with this type of facade is that if I add glass material to partition walls (in order to create glass-double skin) than all interior walls will be glazed which possible could have an impact on the internal environment and the energy consumption. Am i correct and is there any possibility to solve this issue?

You meet to add a window to the partition walls like you do with external windows.

The window component has a switch in the settings to set it to internal.

If you want to model Airflow from the double facade cavity zone to the main zone you also need to turn on the AirflowNetwork in the EnergyPlus component settings.

In addition you can google how others have modeled double facades with energy plus. 

Thanks again for the fast responce and the inputs.

Best regards, 

Aleksandar

Timur Dogan said:

You meet to add a window to the partition walls like you do with external windows.

The window component has a switch in the settings to set it to internal.

If you want to model Airflow from the double facade cavity zone to the main zone you also need to turn on the AirflowNetwork in the EnergyPlus component settings.

In addition you can google how others have modeled double facades with energy plus. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by jeff niemasz.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service